27 March 2013

100th anniversary of the birth of my Dad

John Coyle, my Dad, about a week before his sudden death on 11 August 1987.

Please remember in your prayers the soul of my father, John, who was born on 27 March 1913, a hundred years ago today, in Dublin, Ireland, to Nicholas and Jane Coyle. Easter fell on 23 March that year and so he came into the world on Easter Thursday.

I blogged about Dad on his 25th death anniversary, 11 August 1987, and on his 95th birth anniversary. And I posted about my parents on the 70th anniversary of their wedding.

A photo I took of my parents, Mary and John, in Ireland in the summer of 1968, when my mother was 53 and my father 55. My mother died less than two years later.

Collect from the Mass for the Priest's Parents

O God, who commanded us to honour father and mother, 
have mercy in your compassion 
on my father and mother, 
forgive them their sins, 
and bring me to see them one day 
in the gladness of eternal glory.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, 
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, 
one God, for ever and ever.

My parents' wedding photo, taken in a studio some weeks after their wedding, which took place on 6 July 1942.



No comments: