09 November 2011

Choi Sung-Bong, Korea's Susan Boyle


A friend sent me the link to this video some months ago but I've only got round to looking at it. Possibly I'm the last person on the planet to have watched it. Nevertheless, I think it is worth sharing. The account Choi Sung-Bong gives of his life on Korea's Got Talent has been verified. It is an inspiring one. Like Susan Boyle, Choi Sung-Bong has been on the margins, though in a different way from the Scottish singer.

As a Columban I have a special interest in Korea as we have been working there since 1933 and shared the hardships of World War II and the Korean War with the people there. Columban priests died violently there. I have visited the country three times and have Korean friends, Columban priests, seminarians, lay missionaries and religious who have come to the Philippines as missionaries.

The song is Nella Fantasia, is based on Gabriel's Oboe, composed by Enrico Morricone for The Mission, that wonderful film based on the missionary work of the Jesuits in Paraguay.

1 comment:

gemma j. paras said...

OMG! It's like finding a beautiful diamond in the trash. I god tears in my eyes listening to him & relating to his harsh background. Thanks, Fr.