30 November 2010

Happy St Andrew's Day!

St Andrew, El Greco, painted 1610-14

May I wish readers in Scotland, where I know I have one or two, and anyone in Russia who happens to come across this blog, a Happy St Andrew's Day! If your name is Andrew or any variation thereof, may God bless you in a special way today.

I was assigned to Britain in September 2000, supposedly for four years. After Easter 2002 I was transferrred from Solihull, in the West Midlands of England, to Glasgow. I expected to be in Scotland for more than two years. After only two weeks I was asked to return to the Philippines, though not immediately. I lived among my Celtic cousins for five months. The Latin word 'Scotus' originally meant 'Irish'. The historical, cultural and linguistic ties between Ireland and Scotland are very close for various reasons, good and bad, that I won't go into here.

May I also ask your prayers as I go on retreat this morning until Thursday afternoon. I meant it to be longer but it hasn't worked out that way.

St Andrew's Cross, the National Flag of Scotland, known as The Saltire


Flag of Nova Scotia, 'New Scotland', Canada




1 comment:

Crux Fidelis said...

Beannachd Dia dhuit, a Mhaighstir!

Yesterday in honour of our patron saint I attended Mass at St Aloysius Church in Glasgow city centre. It's normally my practice to celebrate the feast in St Andrew's Cathedral but it's closed for refurbishment until Easter (or perhaps longer as I hear the contractor has gone the way of so many construction companies these days). Later in the day I attended an ecumenical St Andrew's Day service in Paisley Abbey where we renewed our baptismal promises.

St Andrew now in bliss above, thy fervent prayers renew
that Scotland yet again may love the faith, entire and true;
that I the cross allotted me may bear with patient love!
‘Twill lift me, as it lifted thee, to reign with Christ above.