01 November 2009

'Out of the mouths of babes . . .'

Still from video of Fr Michael Sinnott in captivity, 24 October, issued 31 October

'Out of the mouths of babes and infants you have drawn a defense against your foes, to silence enemy and avenger' (Ps 8:2) is quoted by Jesus in Mt 21:16. The girls of Holy Family Home, Cabug, here in Bacolod City, are the joy of my life. When I went there this mroning to celebrate Mass, my first visit in eight weeks because of my visit to Australia, the first thing the younger girls asked me, even as they greeted me excitedly, was 'How is Father Michael?' They ahve been praying regularly for the safe release of Fr Michael Sinnott, three weeks in captivity now since his kidnapping outside the Columban house in Pagadian on the evening of 11 October.

I spoke about him during Mass as one whose life is a living out of the Beatitudes, the gospel for today, all Saints' Day.

After Mass some of the younger ones 'ambushed' me and ask me to tell them more about Father Michael. Many of these girls have suffered greatly and surely God is responding to their prayers.

You can see video versions of two articles about Holy Family Home that have appeared in Misyon. A Safe Haven is by Fr Gary Walker, editor of The Far East, the Columban magazine in Australia and New Zealand, 'A Child Redeemed is a Generation Saved' is by Richelle Verdeprado, one of the older girls. She reads her own article.

Please pray that the Capuchin Tertiary Sisters will be able to take care of all the girls who are referred to them.

Cover of Misyon, January-February 2009. Fr Gary Walker with some of the girls at Holy Family Home.

No comments: