07 May 2008

Update on Filipino fishermen who 'fled abuse' in Ireland

Today's News Letter (Belfast, Northern Ireland) carries a story on the Filipino fishermen who arried home last Sunday after a bad experience with their employer in Northern Ireland. The story is based on an interview with Columban Father Donal Bennett who was closely involved in helping the fishermen in their plight.

What is good to see is the esteem in which Filipino workers are held. I can vouch for that from comments that people make to me when I go home to Ireland. The News Letter will have more in tomorrow's edition. Reporter Sam McBride came across my post of 5 May on this blog and contacted your scribe who tried to put him in touch with Father Bennett. But he managed to do that before I could respond.

No comments: